The Karlsruhe Pyramid is a pyramid made of red sandstone, located in the centre of the market square of Karlsruhe, Germany. It was erected in the years 1823—1825 over the vault of the city's founder, Margrave Karl-Wilhelm (1679—1738).
Or, in other words... under the pyramid is the tomb of the founder of the city of Karlsruhe, who was buried there in 1807. Initially there was a church on the same site, but had to be removed when the square was renovated and so the pyramid was built over the tomb. (The crypt from the 18th century still survives.)
The Karlsruhe Market Square.
A paper cut-out fold-up model of Karlsruhe pyramid
Link to more about Karlsruhe on Wikipedia.
Back to the Pyramids Home Page